Sunday, January 4, 2009

my writing week 2/1

Hi all,

The new year has begun and, like most writers, I have been thinking about my writing goals for this year. I obviously want to finish the last three chapters of the first draft of the novel I am currently writing. I then want to tidy it up so I can put it out into the critiquing world. While it is being critiqued, and to sit on it for a while, I want to rewrite a novel I wrote the first draft of before I did a few writing courses. Finally, I want to redraft the novel that I have had critiqued.

To achieve all this I am going to have to increase the amount of writing I do. Last year I had the goal of writing every day, which I did, but I think that became a self satisfying goal, rather than the quantity/quality of writing itself. So this year I have decided that I don't have to write every day, just complete a weekly word tally. Originally I was thinking of 7000 words a week, but with a target like that I would probably try and write 1000 words every day and fail miserably. So I have decided to set a word count of 5000 a week, which hopefully allows me a day off writing a week.

If I stick to writing 5000 words a week, on average, I should finish writing the first draft of the novel I am working on and have time to tidy it up by the end of January. I will then give myself six months, to the end July, to rewrite the other novel. This leaves five months to write a second draft of the novel I am currently working on.

I am still writing every day. I though as soon as I hit new year's day I wouldn't go near the computer for a few days, but it seems to have become an addiction.

I am nearly finished chapter 22, with still just the two chapters remaining.

I have read a lot of interesting stuff on writing on blogs and in the papers in the past couple of weeks that will be the subject of another blog later this week.

Graham.

No comments: