Monday, January 6, 2020

I'm back.

Hi everyone,

It’s been a while since I posted, I have been busy, sick and slack. I plan to write a few more blog posts this year. As usual they will be mainly about writing and science fiction, concentrating on apocalyptic and time-travel fiction. But first a bit of a summary of 2019, my annus horribilis.

2019


2019 started with my finishing three very challenging years of study with a BA in Internet Communications in early March. The degree was easily the hardest study I had done. Way harder than my Master of Creative Writing. I think its difficulty was due to the combination of doing web-design subjects, (I had virtually no knowledge of even html) and getting used to the “Arts” way of thinking, with its huge emphasis on well researched and argued essays. Due to the nature of the degree, I also had to learn many software packages and web platforms, like video editing software to create video mashups for assignments.

I should have been happy when I completed my degree, as I did extremely well, getting distinctions or high-distinctions for all of its 24 subjects. But, unfortunately I had developed a health problem over the three final months of my degree called diabetic lumbosacral plexopathy (what an imposing name). Basically, I had neglected my diabetes due to the degree being full on, with no breaks between 13 week study periods for three years.

I had managed to keep up my extensive exercise regime (well I think it was extensive), which included swimming 3ks three times a week, weights three times a week, 5k walks four times a week, exercises four times a week. But my blood sugar had stayed high due to neglecting my diet and sleep (lack of sleep raises a person’s blood sugar) while doing the degree. As a result, the plexopathy caused my right knee to give way without warning while standing or walking on five or six occasions. I had lost a lot of weight, mainly in the form of muscle, like my bum (the biggest muscle in the body, I think) shrank, even though it was not that noteworthy beforehand. My weight dropped to 72ks. But thankfully, after a neurologist set me on a course of immunoglobin infusions, and I started exercises from a physio, as well as getting my blood sugar under control, I am not falling over anymore and regaining my strength. My neurologist said I was one of the quickest to recover from the condition.

During the months it took to be diagnosed and then heal, I was concerned the left leg would suffer the same fate as the right and then I wouldn’t be able to walk anymore. I was using a walking stick for months and walking very stiff legged and slowly. I also was not sleeping, with worry about my health combining with totally stuffed up sleep patterns from my degree (I had frequently worked into the early morning at night.) So, the first three quarters of 2019 was one big health problem.
 
Eventually I improved. I am now starting to set up my own web-design business, another big challenge. I am currently working on the website for it, and on proposal for a website for a potential client, having already submitted a proposal for another website for the same client. I am also set to do a NEIS course, starting next week (bushfires permitting), where I learn a bit about setting up a business and I am subsidised by the government for its first nine months.  
 

Reading in 2019

 
During my degree I read a total of four fiction books, and all were for some writing electives I had done. Otherwise all my reading time was taken up with hundreds of research papers and a few text books. But once my degree finished in March, I started reading fiction again. A total of ten novels for the year, nine of them were science fiction, with the best being The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, set in a near future Thailand in a world lacking traditional energy resources and suffering from climate change and famine. The Thais were trying to prevent the destruction of their traditional food sources from multinational genetic food corporations. The title of the novel refers to a much abused clone. I reviewed it in a previous post. 
 
The second best was This is How the World Ends, by James Morrow, which is part of the Masterworks series of classic science fiction novels. It’s a weird Phillip K. Dick type novel, set after the world has been destroyed in a nuclear war, where six survivors are put on trial for their part in causing the war in a court made up of people from the future who never lived due to the war (huh?).
 

Writing in 2019

 
I did very little writing during my degree, but my word count increased after I finished it. It is still nowhere near enough. I am currently about two-thirds of the way through the second draft of a apocalyptic science fiction novel that is just getting bigger and bigger as I get wrapped up in exploring the inner thoughts and fears of my main character. I am going to have to cut, slash and obliterate in the third draft as it risks ballooning out to 200,000 words.
 

2020

 
I plan to do a lot more writing this year as well as reading and fill this blog with insightful reviews of the novels I have read as well as tidbits about science, science fiction and writing.

 


1 comment:

Anthony J. Langford said...

Graham, I had no idea you were going through all of that. I knew you had some issues of course but what a remarkable achievement to get through your course with all of that going on.
That's some incredible fitness regime too!
I dont know how you did it, but you should get a bonus degree for persistence.

I hope you get your site up and running and doing the things you enjoy, like writing and readying. Congrats man. That's awesome.